So the Tree is up and so are the embarrassing pictures of this year’s works Christmas do! All the annual pre-Christmas celebrations have been and gone, now it’s time to get back to the parents for some tranquil family time. What’s the dreaded question on everyone’s mind, oh yeah how do we get home!
The timetables have changed and the airport queues are insane so I’ve compiled my tips on how to avoid the hectic bustle of public transport and travel without even breaking a sweat!
1. Book a train, my favourite method of transport! Who doesn’t love a train? Book your train tickets early and reserve your seat to save the stress of price increases closer to the time. Pick your tickets up on the day (because we all know you’re going to go ‘damn, I can’t remember where I put my tickets!’), sit back and enjoy the stress free services provided by Transpennine Express.
2. Ok, assuming you’ve booked your train check your times. Live Departures/ Arrivals are available via the tap here on the TP Express website, alternatively install their free app. Stress-less travel, ensuring you know the exact times as required.
3. If you’re a little further from home and considering hopping on that big bird in the sky then be sure to book as early as possible. Taking hand luggage severely cuts down any waits over the busy period, just be sure to pack no more than the limited 100ml in a see through bag before you get to the airport, follow the guidelines and security is a breeze! I recommend you use Sky Scanner to search out your trip and double check the price isn’t any lower on the airlines website before booking.
4. Driving home for Christmas? Where from? Leeds? London? .. My point, know your route before you set off! Have you checked for road works or diversions scheduled around your travel time. Remember, you can’t plan everything so have an alternative route to hand just in case you come in contact with some heavy traffic.
5. If you can’t get away a few days before then consider travelling on the day. A little risky some might say but queues are guaranteed to be minimal, here’s to hoping you get a row or seats to yourself!
Times like these we all wish we were Harry Potter, flu power & port keys are so appealing right?! Follow my tips for stress free travel over Christmas and enjoy your time with the people you love.